Saturday, January 23, 2010

Pat-A-Cake, Pat-A-Cake

Baker's man, bake me a biscuit as fast as you can!

Tonight with our soup (potato, made with the left-over mashed potatoes from Christmas - they had been frozen - and turkey stock - also from the freezer) I attempted biscuits once again. Now, I like making bread, but sometimes you need something a little quicker. And despite some rather unsuccessful attempts at making biscuits in the past (with a variety of recipes) I thought I'd try once more.
[I bought some new baking powder over Christmas (Magic) as I was beginning to suspect that my baking powder was making everything taste horrible. I think that might indeed have been the case.]
This time Ann's Granny's Biscuit Recipe was my inspiration. After modifications (cut sugar in 1/2, omit raisins as my kids would complain, and use 1/2 whole grains) the biscuits that resulted...were DELICIOUS! I think I will make these again.

Multigrain biscuits


1 cup grain: 1/3 wheat, 1/3 brown rice, 1/3 millet


1.5 cups flour


1/4 cup sugar


2 1/2 tbsp. baking powder


1/2 tsp salt


1/4 cup butter



1 egg


1 cup milk



1. Grind grain (1 o'clock on Nutrimill)



2.Combine flour, baking powder, sugar and salt. Cut butter in until mixture has a fine crumb texture.



3. Beat 1 egg in 1 cup (+ 1 Tb?) of milk. Stir in milk with a fork to make a soft dough. Knead a few times.



4. Roll out on floured surface to a thickness of at least 1/2 inch to 1 inch.



5. Cut into rounds with a cookie cutter or glass.



6. Place on stone baking pan, and bake at 350 F for 18 to 20 minutes.


Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment