Thursday, September 24, 2009

Tibbitts and Bibbitts and Solomon Sly

I figured if I kept a record here of the canning I did this year, next year I won't have to go rifling through my recipe cupboard looking for the old envelope with the recipe I want on it! This is the first time I've made Mom's relish, but here it is:

Mom's Cucumber Relish

(1) 8 large cucumbers (12 cups chopped??)
12 onions (mom uses less; I think I used 11 this time, 'cause that's what I had)
2 green peppers
2 red peppers (I used 2 yellow, an orange and a red pepper)

1/2 c. salt

(3) 5 c. vinegar
6 c. sugar (I scooped about 3/4 of a cup for ea. 'cup')
1 Tbsp mustard seed
1 Tbsp celery seed (didn't have!)


(2) 1 Tbsp turmeric
3 Tbsp dry mustard
3/4 c. flour

- Cut off ends of cucs.
- Put (1) through chopper (I used the chopper blade on my food processor. If I didn't overfill the bowl it worked best.)
- Sprinkle with salt. Add 5 cups of water.
Let stand 1 hour. Drain well.

Mix (2) with a little vinegar.
Heat (3). Add (2) and cook until smooth.
Add veggies and cook 20 min. Put in hot sterilized jars and process.

Makes about 10 pints.

2 comments:

  1. I like this idea of posting the recipes that you actually use in a year. You could even include notes about how things went so that you could make improvements for next year. I may do the same, if I can find some time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's the thing, isn't it? (the time...) I have more ideas (of things to do) than one person could possibly hope to achieve in a lifetime, even if they didn't have to do any of the routine housekeeping stuff. But, as Ann Voskamp (in her blog, A Holy Experience) recently pointed out,

    "The ordinary acts we practice every day at home are of more importance to the soul than their simplicity might suggest."
    - Thomas Moore
    Irish poet (1779 - 1852)

    Oh, and I'm really enjoying the 'Summer Salsa' (Just finished off another jar, as a matter of fact...) Fruity, with just the right level of spice (for my rather heat-intolerant (now dripping) nose ;)

    ReplyDelete