Thursday, September 24, 2009

Each Peach Pear Plum



OK, so I just made a batch of "Summer Salsa" from the Ball Complete Book of Home Preserving. It said I'd get six 500mL jars (pints) but I ONLY GOT 4! I feel cheated, somehow, although it is very tasty. I even carefully followed quantities (much more carefully than usual, anyway). Instead of 3-4 jalapeno peppers I used one chinese five pepper (it was purple), and I don't think I used a full 1/2 cup of honey, but that's not 2 pints worth of salsa! Anyway, here's the recipe:

Summer Salsa

4 cups chopped cored peeled tomatoes (drained)
2 cups chopped pitted peeled peaches
2 cups chopped cored peeled pears
1 red bell pepper, seeded and finely chopped (I used 3 from our CSA b/c they were small)
1 cup chopped red onion (I used white)
3-4 jalapeno peppers, seeded and finely chopped (as mentioned above, I used one pepper, but b/c it was rather small - approx 1/2 the size of a jalapeno - I used the whole thing, seeds and all.)
1/2 cup chopped cilantro
1/2 cup liquid honey (I used 2 soup-spoonfuls)
Grated zest and juice of 1 lemon (didn't have - used zest from one orange and a squirt of lemon juice)
1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
1 Tbsp finely chopped fresh mint

1. Prep canner, jars and lids.
2. In lg pot, combine tomatoes, peaches, pears, red pepper, onion and hot peppers. Bring to a boil over med-high heat, stirring constantly (or frequently ;) Add cilantro, honey, lemon zest and juice, vinegar and mint. Reduce heat and boil gently, stirring often, until slightly thickened, about 5 minutes.
3. Ladle hot salsa into hot jars, leaving 1 cm (1/2 in) headspace. ...
Process for 20 min (pint size); 15 min for 250mL jars.

No comments:

Post a Comment